velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Will Glass-Husain" <>
Subject Re: another velocity article
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 04:50:46 GMT
Hi Jason,

I can't remember if I replied back then to Tim's email, but #stop is
definitely still broken.  However, if you're adventurous there's a patch out
to fix it.

If you're not familiar with it, do check out the velocity-tools subproject,
though which has a number of useful tools to do things like format dates and

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Briggs" <>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2004 8:33 PM
Subject: RE: another velocity article

> Just came across this, so my apologies for a late reply.  I wrote that
article, so I think I can answer your question...
> The reason I wrote my own #exit was that #stop does not work the same way
that a java-coded "return" works in a JSP.  I checked out this mailing list
and Geir Magnusson had provided a work around (ages ago) for the exact same
problem (someone else had obviously encountered).  So I followed his
example.  Perhaps the way #stop works has changed in later versions...?  Or
perhaps I came across some strangeness with our environment -- I don't know.
At least from the point of view of my own migration from JSP to Velocity, it
was a necessary addition.
seemed to me (in writing it) that anyone -migrating- from JSPs would be hard
pressed to convince management if it involved a huge amount of recoding
templates.  That was the point of view of my approach -- to basically mimic
a JSP in Velocity without a huge amount of rework.  The creation of
directives to format dates and numbers was mainly so I could  write the
simplest sed script possible to reformat my JSPs as VMs (i.e. complete and
utter laziness... ;-)