velocity-user mailing list archives

From Nathan Bubna <nat...@esha.com>
Subject Re: exception using ViewRenderTool
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 01:29:29 GMT
Darren Davison said:
> Trying to expose a render tool with;
>
> ViewRenderTool viewRenderTool = new ViewRenderTool();
> viewRenderTool.init(velocityContext);
> velocityContext.put("render", viewRenderTool);
>
> I get the following trace every time I attempt to invoke recurse() (or eval)
>
> org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException: Invocation of
> method 'recurse' in  class
> org.apache.velocity.tools.view.tools.ViewRenderTool threw exception class
> java.lang.NullPointerException : null
>         org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTMethod.execute
> Any pointers as to where to start looking for the cause?

hmm.  looks like the recurse method will throw an NPE if the call to
Velocity.evalute() fails.  i'm committing a change so that will be handled
better, but even if i do, your recurse evalution will still be broken.
without knowing what you're trying to recurse on, i can't help with that.

Nathan Bubna
nathan@esha.com