velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: Parsing behavior question
Date Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:23:19 GMT
On 7/15/02 10:17 AM, "Juan Dellarroquelle" <rayuela@usa.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Let's say that I have an object in the context "foo" that exposes a method
> "getText()"
> and I'm using it inside a Velocity template like this:
>
> $foo.getText()
>
> If I had another String object in the Velocity context called "fooStr" and
> the
> getText() method would return a string like: "This is just a ${fooStr}
> sample text",
> Would velocity parse the ${fooStr} inside the returned string by
> $foo.getText() ?

No.  velocity doesn't do anything to returned values.  I think that except
for this case, you would never want that.

Now, your next question will be "how do I do this then?" and the answer is a
tool that takes the string and renders it against the context.  You can do
this using the Velocity.evaluate() methods.

I owe a contribution of a tool (promised someone else), so I'll get off my
kiester and do this.

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.