velocity-user mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: AW: Velocity, JSP, and XP practices
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2001 04:30:27 GMT
on 9/3/01 5:49 PM, "Huy Do" <huy@tramada.com> wrote:

> What about when the layout does not depend on the user but for example is a
> link from an associate site. The associate site would maybe want a slightly
> different layout for certain pages but keep the layout the same for others.
> I've actually come across this before.

You know where the person has come from with the referrer field. The link
could also go to a specific domain which you could use as your 'key'. Doing
this also opens up the possibilities of more than just layout determination.

> I'm sure there are many solutions for this, but if it's just the home
> page/first page which has it's layout changed, eg. logo on the right instead
> of on the right and a different footer, would passing the layout as a cgi
> var be the simplest solution.

Right, but you missed my point originally, which is that you do not want to
continue to pass it through each request once you get it the first time.

-jon