velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Tim Joyce" <...@hoop.co.uk>
Subject Re: #include and servlets :-)
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2001 13:58:26 GMT
Geir,

> > you will need to be able to load different templates / macros dependant
on
> > the phone / emulator.
>
> That's what I understood, and thought about exploring the VM overload
> trick with template namespaces to write a general app and override the
> VM implementations per phone/emulator...

good plan.

> > we built a WAP site last year.  gotyas include:
> >
> > 1)  nasty browser incompatibilities
> > 2)  devices behave differenty from their emulators
> > 3)  buggy browsers (paticularly wrt basic authentification)
> > 4)  page size limits  - really nasty with dynamc data.  (we never solved
> > this neatly - ideas appreciated)
> > 5)  buggy phones.  with my nokia 7110, i had to regularly reboot by
removing
> > the battery.
>
> Sounds yecchy.

yep - what are you proposing to do about deck sizes?

> > all-in-all, it was not a lot of fun, but it did work in the end :)  This
was
> > all 15 months ago, so things may be better now.  It is worth asking
yourself
> > / your client if they _really_ thing there is an audience for a WAP app.
> > WAP bombed big time in europe, and became a bit of a joke.
> >

> It's more of a proof-of-concept / exploration type thing...

good, as long as they don't expect it to be used.

> I wouldn't suppose all that WML magic founds its way into Melati, did
> it? :)

melati supports WML, but i don't think there is any magic you would be
interested in.  melati uses 'templets' instead of Velicoty/Web Macros (which
were not invented when we wrote melati).  so all you do is place

#set ($ml=$melati.getWMLMarkupLanuguage)

at the top of your template, then

$ml.rendered($object)

will render your widget in a markup specific way using a
ClassNameTempleteLoader which digs the correct templet out of a template
engine/markup language/language template file tree.

cheers

timj