velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Velocity 1.1 Release
Date Sun, 13 May 2001 17:27:36 GMT

Since the 1.0 release, we have added quite a few nice things to
Velocity, and I think we should do an official 1.1 release to let people
use them and be comfortable that they don't have to depend upon the CVS
state du jour...

The biggest additions :

* The new event handling system - EventCartridge and related interfaces
* The performance improvements
* Encoding support for templates

The smaller, but just as important, additions :

* Enhancements to the MIE's
* Improvements to VelocityServet - new handleContext() method
* Texen enhancements
* Support for the Jakarta Commons collections class
* and more

So, I propose that we do this release - I am happy to do it, but want
some community feedback.

I don't see it as a big event like the 1.0 - just a few nips and tucks,
a release candidate period, and then bless it as 1.1.  If all in favor,
I will get the release candidate put to bed and 'out' this week, let it
run for 1 week, and unless problems surface push out the 1.1 release.  I
don't think this needs a JavaOne timing - I actually think that's
pointless.

It also might be nice to have a 1.1 release out, tested and ready for
our Turbine brethren to include in their 2.1 release, which will be
timed with JavaOne, as I understand it.  It would help them with their
internationalization support.

Now, aside from some little minutae I am doing, the two big ongoing
pieces seem to be Daniels ongoing battle with the regexp for the
Webmacro conversion utility, and Jason will be adding some improvements
to  Texen.  Neither of these affect the Velocity core, so I believe that
if all is well, we should include them in the 1.1 release, and do any
subsequent fixes to the release candidate if need be.

Comments?

geir

System and Software Consulting
"still climbing up to the shoulders..."