velocity-user mailing list archives

From Travis Low <tra...@dawnstar.org>
Subject Re: benchmarking velocity
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2000 00:24:06 GMT
Jon Stevens wrote:

> I really really really don't like the fake HTML syntax. Also, you can't
> review a template in the browser because you loose all the logic.

Depends on what you're reviewing...

> Take a WM template and open it with your web browser. See all that nice WM
> code all over the place? See how easy it is to see what is happening?

...and if you're an engineer that would be very handy.  If you're a designer,
then perhaps you'd rather see what the page is going to LOOK LIKE, not THE LOGIC
OF HOW IT GETS THERE.  With FreeMarker-style syntax, I can just browse the
template file and see what it's going to look like.

> This is something that the starwars.com guys (and myself!) really like and I'm
> not going to give up on this issue. :-)

Okay.  :-)  But are those starwars.com guys engineers or designers?

> Another problem with fake HTML syntax is if you try to load it in
> Dreamweaver, you are going to get a page that has all sorts of errors on it.
> That certainly isn't friendly to web designers who don't even know HTML.

A substantive criticism, thanks!  But is Dreamweaver configurable?  Can you tell
it to ignore those tags?

I find it REALLY hard to believe that a graphic designer would want to see all
that WebMacro stuff.  I quote: "Things that you don't care about should get out
of your face."  I believe your view is too engineering-centric.  I have the
impression that engineers make these templates, then dump them on designers, who
are stuck with maintaining them.  Is that not usually the case?

As always, correct me if I'm wrong.  Don't be shy! :-)

-- Travis Low
   <mailto:travis@dawnstar.org>
   <http://dawnstar.org/travis>