velocity-user mailing list archives

From Rafal Krzewski <Rafal.Krzew...@e-point.pl>
Subject Re: Plans
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:06:18 GMT
Tim Joyce wrote:

> Jason,
>
> I've just joined from the webmacro list :)
>
> > A general question:
> >
> > Should we try and make Velocity a completely stand-alone replacement
> > to WM, or can we say that we are planning a Turbine/Velocity
> > partnership to be a replacement for WM. I prefer the partnership,
> > Turbine has a huge development base compared to WM and it would
> > be great to leverage that. I don't see why we can't pitch a
> > Turbine/Velocity pair as a replacement/upgrade path for WM.
>
> many people who use WM have rejected Turbine (for any number of reasons).  I
> urge you to ensure that Velocity stands alone.  For me, there is a clear
> seperation between a Template Expander (Velocity / WM) and a Servlet
> Framework (Turbine).

I second that. Though I am Turbine user (and developer) and I'm looking forward
to using these two combined, I think that Velocity shouldn't depend on Turbine
in any aspect. Servlet framewok and template processor are two different entities.
This is a problem with current WebMacro - it's trying to be both at the same time.

There is certainly some amount of functionality that overlaps, for example
caching and resource access facilities, but I belive that Velocity should define
a set of interfaces, and an implementation of them be useable standalone, or
comibned with other arbitrary tools. On the other hand, Turbine could provide
implementations of these iterfaces that could serve as bridges to caching et al.
functionality present in Turbine.

> I was under the impression that following yesterday's meeting, we would all
> be working on the same codebase from very soon (next week?).  This would be
> the WebMacro codebase, perhaps including the new Velocity parser.  The
> priority is to get Apache Webmacro 1.0 released ASAP, this would make a lot
> of people very happy.

AFAIK, code merge isn't going to happen anytime soon. The goal of Apache WebMacro
is to provide stable and fully functional distribution of WebMacro available now,
along with supporting it's current users and their particular needs.
The goal of Velocity is to create fresh implementation of WebMacro's design,
that will be technically superiour to current WebMacro and in the future may
possibly replace it (see JServ & Tomcat).

Rafal