velocity-user mailing list archives

From Rafal Krzewski <Rafal.Krzew...@e-point.pl>
Subject Re: lost some chars from my charset after parsing
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:18:28 GMT
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> I have your LostChars.jar but I'm not really sure what's
> going on. I can't see what your original chars even
> looked like on my computer. I'm looking through
> the parser that was generated for any clues.

Please do remember that world doesn't end on US-ASCII (ISO-8859-1)
charset. If Velocity fails to handle other character encodings
corectly, it would make a lot of people *very* disappointed.
Templates are stored on the disk as bytes, Strings are Unicode,
then again the response is sent to the browses as a stream of bytes.
Every time you convert byte/byte[] <-> String encoding translation
is taking place and if something is not set corectly, national
characters will get eaten (or replaced by quesion marks, or some
other characters). It's nice that Java supporst unicode, so
toUpperCase() works for us just fine, just the conversions back
and forth are troublesome.

RafaƂ (ISO-8859-2 user)