velocity-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Velocity Macro Stack Traces Patch
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2012 00:15:57 GMT
On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:06 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu
<sergiu.dumitriu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/01/2012 07:29 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>>
>> yes you are! it's explicitly provided for in the apache license.
>

> I don't think this is a licensing issue, but a copyright issue.

Quoting the Apache License:

"Contribution" shall mean any work of authorship, including the
original version of the Work and any modifications or additions to
that Work or Derivative Works thereof, that is intentionally submitted
to Licensor for inclusion in the Work by the copyright owner or by an
individual or Legal Entity authorized to submit on behalf of the
copyright owner. For the purposes of this definition, "submitted"
means any form of electronic, verbal, or written communication sent to
the Licensor or its representatives, including but not limited to
communication on electronic mailing lists, source code control
systems, and issue tracking systems that are managed by, or on behalf
of, the Licensor for the purpose of discussing and improving the Work,
but excluding communication that is conspicuously marked or otherwise
designated in writing by the copyright owner as "Not a Contribution."

If you send a patch (thus creating a derivative work of an AL work) to
an Apache mailing list, and don't explicitly write 'not a
contribution', it's a contribution.