velocity-dev mailing list archives

From Sergiu Dumitriu <sergiu.dumit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Velocity Macro Stack Traces Patch
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2012 18:16:48 GMT
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:06 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu
> <sergiu.dumitriu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/01/2012 07:29 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>>>
>>> yes you are! it's explicitly provided for in the apache license.
>>

>> I don't think this is a licensing issue, but a copyright issue.
>
> Quoting the Apache License:
>
> "Contribution" shall mean any work of authorship, including the
> original version of the Work and any modifications or additions to
> that Work or Derivative Works thereof, that is intentionally submitted
> to Licensor for inclusion in the Work by the copyright owner or by an
> individual or Legal Entity authorized to submit on behalf of the
> copyright owner. For the purposes of this definition, "submitted"
> means any form of electronic, verbal, or written communication sent to
> the Licensor or its representatives, including but not limited to
> communication on electronic mailing lists, source code control
> systems, and issue tracking systems that are managed by, or on behalf
> of, the Licensor for the purpose of discussing and improving the Work,
> but excluding communication that is conspicuously marked or otherwise
> designated in writing by the copyright owner as "Not a Contribution."
>
> If you send a patch (thus creating a derivative work of an AL work) to
> an Apache mailing list, and don't explicitly write 'not a
> contribution', it's a contribution.

Yes, but I'm not talking about granting copyright license to users,
which is indeed covered by the license, but about the CLA required by
the Foundation. I was wrong assuming that it's about Copyright; as far
as I understand from the differences between the ICLA and the License,
it's about the user being entitled to grant rights on the contribution.
As far as I remember, submitting patches on Jira requires agreeing to
the CLA, something that's not done when sending an email.

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/