velocity-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Bubna <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Few suggested improvements for DisplayTools
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 14:57:56 GMT
comments in line...

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 3:41 PM,  <serg472@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I wanted to share with you a few ideas I have about new simple
> improvements for DisplayTools. I should be able to make patches for
> them if you are interested.
>
> 1. Add new method
>
> isEmpty(object)
>
> that will return true if the object is null or empty (for strings it's
> zero length; for collections, maps and arrays it's zero size). This
> should help with  annoying null checks. (Probably a better place for
> this method would be Engine, not Tools)

yeah, not something for tools.  would be interesting to have the
Uberspect pretend that every non-null reference has an isEmpty()
method, or perhaps just add 0-length strings, empty collections, empty
maps and 0-length arrays to the list of things that #if( $foo )
considers false.

> 2. Add new "property" parameter to
>
> list(Object list, String delim, String finaldelim, String property)
>
> method that will format an array or collection of objects on selected
> property (similar to SortTools).

great idea!

> 3. Add new method:
>
> stripTags(Object obj, String... allowedTags)
>
> that will strip all (html) tags from the text except those listed in
> allowedTags (allowed tags are passed like this: "br","img","p").

that would definitely be useful.  but should it strip them or escape them?

> 4. Add new method:
>
> br(Object obj)
>
> that will replace \n with "<br />\n"

simple enough.  want to make a patch for this or any of the others?

> 5. Add new "preserveWords" parameter to:
>
> truncate(Object truncateMe, int maxLength, String suffix, boolean preserveWords)
>
> that will truncate a string to a last complete word within maxLength
> instead of exact character.

also a good idea.  again, want to help?  i might take up a few of
these, but i've got a lot of other irons in the fire.  also, if you
want these ideas to be remembered, opening up a JIRA issue for them
would be a good idea.  otherwise, they risk becoming buried in
inboxes.