velocity-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: A simple macro replacement with user directives
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2008 15:29:44 GMT
Guido,

Deinhammer, Guido wrote:
> I understand my writing turned out a little lengthy, but if you are
> using macros, it should be worth the read...

It definitely is. Thanks for investigating /and providing code/!

> The second parameter is a map that is added to the
> context under the name "args" - the "macro" can access the parameters
> with $args.arg1.

What about wrapping the current VelocityContext in another one that
contains the argument map? That would allow you to use your template
either through your #call directive or with #parse (because it would
remove the need for the "$args." prefix).

It would be an easy fix. Starting with CallDirective.java:120:

>     Object oldArgs = context.put(ARGUMENTS_VARIABLE_NAME, args);

Change this to:

       // Wrap the outer context with a new one
       Context subContext = new VelocityContext(context);

       // Copy the arguments into the inner context
       for(Iterator i=args.entrySet().iterator(); i.hasNext(); ) {
           Map.Entry entry = (Map.Entry)i.next();
           subContext.put((String)entry.getKey(), entry.getValue());
       }

I think you can choose to use the wrapped versus outer context however
you want... I did not really understand why this was true:

>     // the callStack is needed for the ContentDirective - when the content is rendered,
>     // we have to move one level back in the callStack

... so it's up to you. ;)

Of course, you'd want to use the wrapped context, here:

>       template.merge(context, writer);

	template.merge(subContext, writer);

And this line is unnecessary, since subContext will simply fall out of
scope:

>     context.put(ARGUMENTS_VARIABLE_NAME, oldArgs);

I'm also not sure about the push and pop of template names if you use a
wrapped context. I don't know enough about the internals of Velocity to
know if they are required or not.

Let me know if you think these are reasonable improvements.

-chris