velocity-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Velocity 1.5 (again, this time for real. :-) )
Date Wed, 31 Jan 2007 18:48:00 GMT

On Jan 31, 2007, at 10:09 AM, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

> "Geir Magnusson Jr." <geir@pobox.com> writes:
>
>>> because Maven2 has issues and that's what the current site is being
>>> built with.  i've tried to get it working on my machine, but no luck
>>> yet.
>
>> Then I'd argue this shouldn't be our site until this is fixed :)
>
> Geir,
>
> sorry for me starting to lose my patience here, but this is the thing:
>
> Between November '06 and now I tried to make the new velocity project
> site and the engine docs to be an as good user experience as can be.
>
> I put a lot of work in this using maven. There have been a number of
> things sprouted from here that you can review under site/tools. I also
> found enough bugs in maven and its components to fill a small
> folder. That is how open source works. Especially open source that
> tries to be somewhat on the "Leading wave".
>
> Up until now, all you did was saying "I don't like this". "I'm
> concerned about this". "I'd argue that we do it differently".

I don't recall.  I'm usually not that prescient.

> The thing is: That is not helping. Actually, it is frustrating in a
> big way.
>
> I'd like you to spent some time to take a look at what is there, not
> what you would like to have (and then seem to expect to appear
> automagically).

I didn't ask you to change anything, IIRC.

> If you find things missing, being less than ideal, I'd
> encourage you to either
>
> a) fix it
> b) open issues for it
>
> Please review wheter doing neither a) nor b) but just leaning back and
> saying "I'd argue that this should not be our site until it is fixed"
> is really a constructive and encouraging way to work in a (regrettably
> small) developer community.

Henning - what you are saying is that you broke it and you want me to
fix it?  I'm not sure I like that.  I tend to believe that except
when people agree to do the contrary, it's a good idea to ensure that
any works-in-progress remain uncommitted, or in a branch or
whiteboard, to ensure that there's a working configuration available
to anyone to work with.

I haven't commented on the site, the quality of it or anything like
that.  I simply noted surprise that we have a site that only you can
build, and noted that maybe that shouldn't actually be the official
project site until that's fixed.

geir