velocity-dev mailing list archives

From Malcolm Edgar <malcolm.ed...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RuntimeExceptions
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2006 21:14:25 GMT
+1 on Option #3.

I think this is now accepted as a best practice with Java error handling.

regards Malcolm Edgar

On 1/3/06, Will Glass-Husain <wglass@forio.com> wrote:
> First, happy new year to the Velocity developer community...
>
> I've been pondering how Velocity handles exceptions. Right now, almost every call to
a plugin has a catch-all Exception handler which does little more than log the Exception.
 There's been a couple of requests in the past few months to pass RuntimeExceptions or similar
through.

> * In Velocity-424, Malcolm Edgar wanted NPEs from a call to toString to pass through
a #parse.  (we did this).
> * Llewelyn Falco created a "TestableUberspect" which interrupted processing upon an invalid
method call.
> * There was someone else (can't find the reference) who wanted to interrupt processing
when confronted with an invalid method call.

> I was wondering, why does Velocity intercept every exception?  Isn't the point of a RuntimeException
that it signals an application-level problem that should be returned to the calling code?
 In addition, we should allow plugins (event handlers, uberspectors, resource loaders) to
interrupt processing for critical problems.  To me, there seems three choices.

> (1) Catch every unexpected condition and do something with it (e.g. catch NPE from toString()
and wrap it in a MethodInvocationException).  Logging does not count as doing something.

> (2) Create a special VelocityRuntimeException that plugins can use to interrupt processing.
 Every generic catch (Exception E) wrapper would pass this through.  (I've coded this though
not applied the patch).

> (3) Remove all generic Exception catch's.  (or if not feasible, always pass RuntimeException's
through).

> To me, option #1 seems infeasible.  (if we start wrapping toString, we'd need to wrap
a lot of other little stuff).  Option #2 is useful for plugins to interrupt processing.  But
I'm wondering, why not do option #3 and just pass through all RuntimeExceptions.  Any reason
why we *should* be catching unexpected RuntimeException's?