velocity-dev mailing list archives

From "Will Glass-Husain" <wgl...@forio.com>
Subject Re: Caching / OutOfMemoryException
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:51:58 GMT
Haven't experienced the OOM issue with Velocity myself, nor are there
reports this is a common problem.  There's one or two items in JIRA
regarding individual user's experience but they are a bit old-- it's not
clear whether this is still an issue.  We did add a limit to the cache size
in 1.5 dev.  Have you tried playing with this? (property:
resource.manager.defaultcache.size).

There's a couple of user's with similar high-volume usage - maybe someone
else can comment?

The cache makes a significant difference in performance, I'd definitely
recommend leaving it on.

Best, WILL

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fredrik Andersson" <fidde.andersson@gmail.com>
To: <velocity-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 1:46 AM
Subject: Caching / OutOfMemoryException

Hi gang!

I have some questions regarding the memory usage, and more specifically, the
caching options in the 1.5-dev version of Velocity. We're using this version
in a high-traffic environment, and all developers have gotten
OutOfMemoryExceptions from time to time (various platforms - Debian, Fedora
etc running JRE 1.5.0_05-b05 with Tomcat 5.0.28). Previous posts to the list
mostly relate this issue to the the file.resource.loader.cache setting in
the velocity.properties file but we've tried fiddling with that. I did not
find any JIRA reports on the topic, and the previous posts did not help
unfortunately. The actual templates are not big at all, just some
regularly-sized pages without any funny stuff on them.

So the question probably is, is OutOfMemoryExceptions a common problem for
other developers (you guys) or have we all missed some not-so-clear setting
to avoid this nasty problem? Any input that hasn't been discussed previously
would be deeply appreciated.

Fredrik