velocity-dev mailing list archives

From "Will Glass-Husain" <wgl...@forio.com>
Subject Re: Other languages?
Date Sat, 07 Jan 2006 16:54:14 GMT
Hi Henri,

Thanks for the note.  Just to fill everyone else in, Henri (chair of
Jakarta) has floated a proposal to redefine Jakarta.  There's some
discussion of this on the general@jakarta.apache.org mailing lists.   In a
nutshell, the essence is that Jakarta morphs into a flatter "commons" type
community offering libraries of different Java components.  To accomplish
this, current "component" type subprojects stay as they are (like ORO),
active initiatives of the current commons (like Commons Collections) move up
to become Jakarta subprojects, and "framework" type projects (like Turbine
or Tapestry) moving and become their own top level projects, reporting
directly to the Apache Board.  The goal would be to build more of a
community among the various Jakarta projects, simplify administration,
clarify the Jakarta brand.  (How's that for a fifty-cent summary, Henri?)

This is only proposed.  (it's worth noting that some Framework type efforts
like Turbine have not bought into this concept yet).  If you've specific
comments on this, I suggest taking them to the general list.

But for us, the key question would be "Is Velocity a Component or a
Framework?"  I've made the case that we are a component (and by implication,
not interested in the visibility being a TLP would provide).  It's pretty
clear to me that Velocity is used by dozens of open source projects (Apache
and non) and numerous commercial efforts.  See the Powered By list for
details.
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-velocity/PoweredByVelocity

Henri's been sympathetic but notes we have some framework type pieces (e.g.
Velocity-Tools), and that we could have sub projects of our own (like
NVelocity, not that such as been discussed).  I'll respond to that in a
separate email.

Please feel free to chip in.

Cheers, WILL