velocity-dev mailing list archives

From "Will Glass-Husain" <wgl...@forio.com>
Subject request for comments on Macro issues
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2006 14:27:29 GMT
I posted a little note about the JIRA issues on macros on the wiki

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-velocity/MacroIssues

Once I dug into these issues, I realized the scope of macros seems rather odd.  Specifically,
various users have complained that you can't stick macros in a file called by #parse (I've
run into this myself).  This is documented but still rather unintuititive.  The recommended
action is to put such macros in a library, but that may not be feasible with a large heterogenous
library of templates. (or a case where template writers do not have control of the environment).

What I realized is that this is fundamentally due to a design issue rather than a bug.  Would
appreciate any comments on this interpretation and my proposed approach to solve this.

Thanks,

WILL