velocity-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Bubna" <nat...@esha.com>
Subject Re: [VELTOOLS] Why isn't ServletToolboxManager a singleton class ?
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 21:14:37 GMT
Nathan said:
> Gabe said:
> > Claude Brisson wrote:
> >
> > > If using several VelocityViewServlet servlets (for instance one that
> requires authentification, one that doesn't), tools are initialized for
each
> servlet, although application/session scoped tools should be shared.
> > >
> > > To allow several VVS to share their ToolboxManager, we would need the
> ServletToolboxManager class to be a singleton.
> > >
> > > If veltools developers agree, I submit such a patch.
> >

> > Yes, that would be nice. Does anyone see drawbacks to sharing tools
> between
> > VV Servlet? I don't.
>
> hmm.  no, i can't think of any drawbacks offhand.

one thing worth mentioning here...

i've suggested before that we make the toolbox manager used by the
VelocityViewServlet pluggable.  this would make it easy for developers to
plug custom toolbox managers into the VVS.  in conjunction with this, the
Velocity-Tools project could also then include different toolbox managers
(if so desired) as options for developers.   that said, if we could
establish a generic interface for servlet toolbox managers, we might then
include both a manager that fits Claude's needs as well as a simpler one for
those of us who use only one instance of the VVS.  i'd also like to look
into setting a toolbox manager that supported pooling using commons-pool.

thoughts?

Nathan Bubna
nathan@esha.com