velocity-dev mailing list archives

From sean <s...@datamage.net>
Subject Re: [Veltools] ToolboxManager (round 4 :-)
Date Mon, 06 May 2002 18:24:55 GMT
In message <3CD2B172.2020406@teamup.ch>, Gabriel Sidler
<sidler@teamup.ch> writes
>>>- I am quite uncomfortable with the proposed init method of
>>>ContextTool.
>>>
>>>     public void init(Object initData);
>>>
>>>   This is virtually moving us back to C-times where we worked with pointers
>>>   and suffered from all kind of related problems. The interface is basically
>>>   specified through the documentation. Yes, this approach
>>>   keeps the interface between tools and the toolbox manager simple. But,
>>>   the price is a problematic, underspecified, error-prone interface.
>>>
>> That's too high a price.
>>>
>>  Really?  I'll be sure to pass that on to Turbine-land where this has
>>worked
>> great for their PullService for quite some time now.  Someone should warn
>> them of their impending doom!  :-)  ok, maybe that's a little dramatic...
>
>Well, I don't think this pull tool interface it their masterpiece of software
>engineering. It's a working compromise.

As co-author of the Turbine PullService, I have to agree with Gabe here.
I was never completely happy with this aspect of the API, and really
only agreed to implement it because there was a precedent elsewhere in
the Turbine code (can't remember where now).

If you can find a better approach, use it! (And maybe suggest the
improvement back over in Turbine-land).

--
Sean Legassick
sean@datamage.net