velocity-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikkel Bruun" <mik...@increment.dk>
Subject How to contribute?
Date Tue, 14 May 2002 12:55:17 GMT

Hi Guys,

Im a new member on this list, and I have only been working with velocity
for a couple of weeks.

I have developed a simple servlet filter that invokes velocity on the
output before sending it to the browser.

Why? Now adays most webapps are pretty complex. Usually the main
application is based on some sort of mvc framework (struts?) to control
and execute the logic of the application. This model works fine ;-)

However, most websites also need some form of content management system
(CMS), such as opem market, broad vision or rool-your-own
implementation.

So, when you as a developer implements a form for a webapp you need to
think about both the application and whatever complex things it has to
handle AND integration to the CMS.
This makes the development proces more complex, as your app all of a
sudden needs to integrate with other components (especially in the jsp
layer).

So, my take on it is...develop your app in jsp (it's a 'standard', no
way aorund it)...
Extend my filter to do CMS related data access and parse it into the
html using velocity...

During development you'll just have some simple velocity tags in your
code that doesn't affect your overall application.
When its time to integration just add the filter and your pages will be
populated with the CMS data...

Does this make any sense?? If so, how can I contribute the code to you
guys?? If ot doesnt make sense, tell me and I will creep back under my
stone..

Sorry for my poor english

Regards

Mikkel