velocity-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: Introspector.java -> CR/LF [OT mac chatter...]
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2001 20:22:02 GMT
On 9/11/01 8:40 AM, "bayard@generationjava.com" <bayard@generationjava.com>
wrote:

>>> Have you tried doing a cvs checkout from apache over ssh on OS X?
>>
>> Sure - works like a champ. I am on vacation with the iBook and doing
>> Velocity work with it.  I have had no problems with any action.
>
> Must be something on my side :(
>
>>> bash (had to install this immediately)
>>
>> Yes, I am pining for that.  I assume you just grabbed sources and built?
>
> Yep. Worked a charm. Was a bit painful to set it up for my user to use
> bash by default. But eventually I got it sorted. Also takes a bit of pain
> to get access to the root user.
>
>>> JavaBrowser (comes with it. can be useful)
>>
>> Hm.  I need to find that.
>
> Ah, comes with the developers CD which you don't get if you order direct
> from Apple (what is with that?). A friend of mine burnt me a copy, I can
> possibly get a .dmg file online for you.

Yes.  I have it.  I just found it - looks good.  I downloaded the usual API
docs from sun, so I keep those local as well.

>>> OmniGraffle (very nice tiny diagram drawer. full version 110 usd)
>>> Space (dock for virtual desktops)
>>
>> Really?  I have been really wishing for this.  Where can I find it?
>
> Open up IE. Click on the OS X link. Bottom right hand corner talks about
> programs. I think there's a tab for this section too. Anyway, tons of
> stuff on there, look at the Dock section.

Thanks.  I'll find that.

>>> SlashDock (shows MacSlash and Slashdot headlines)
>>>
>>> Nothing else has seemed useful enough to fit augment my day to day
>>> usage. A nice external wireless/optical logitech mouse is a nice to have.
>>
>> One thing I bought and found extremely worth it is a powersupply from
>> Madsonline (http://www.madsonline.com/).  It is really small compared to
>> that flying saucer thing, so it's great to travel with.
>
> Definitely sounds interesting. Carrying that thing around is a pain.
>
> Alternative browsers, Mozilla and Opera both fail to be as good as they
> are on linux. Omniweb is a nice one. 30 dollars or so, but is very highly
> rated. www.omnigroup.com

I don't mind paying if good.  Wasn't there another called 'taxi' or 'cab' or
something?

> You can also get a xxxx@mac.com email address from apple for free, plus a
> chunk of disk space. They've made this really easy for the consumer user,
> so might be worth getting it setup. They call it iDisk and iTools.

I did set that up.  Seems pretty cool.  I used it a bit before I left (I
only had the box less than a week before I left, and there is no bndwth
here...

geir

System and Software Consulting
If you look up, there are no limits - Japanese Proverb