velocity-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: performance questions - faster Introspector
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:09:55 GMT
Two points on this :

1) If you have a big installation, and you share one instance of Velocity
across all of your webapps via Tomcat's lib, you are asking for trouble, I
think.  I can't see much benefit to that other than desire to avoid multiple
copies of the jar.  If that is the case, and you want to keep your webapps
partitioned, then use the separate instance runtime (which I think you are
doing, Bojan).  If *that* is the case, then I think you are safe, as nothing
is a singleton in the separate instance, your servlet holds the reference to
it, and when your servlet is recycled on the classloader change, then you
let go of the refrerence to the vel runtime, and get a new one.  All is
well.

2) I still think we are adding unnecessary complexityh re the
per-classloader dumping.  KISS.

geir

On 9/9/01 9:29 PM, "Attila Szegedi" <szegedia@freemail.hu> wrote:

> Hmm. So, if I'm right you'd be happier with per-classloader dumping of
> cache? (I have this already coded, but have phased it out in agreement with
> Geir in spirit of the KISS principle).
>
> Attila.

System and Software Consulting
If you look up, there are no limits - Japanese Proverb