velocity-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@binarix.com>
Subject Re: performance questions - faster Introspector
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:30:07 GMT
"Geir Magnusson Jr." wrote:

> Two points on this :
>
> 1) If you have a big installation, and you share one instance of Velocity
> across all of your webapps via Tomcat's lib, you are asking for trouble, I
> think.  I can't see much benefit to that other than desire to avoid multiple
> copies of the jar.  If that is the case, and you want to keep your webapps
> partitioned, then use the separate instance runtime (which I think you are
> doing, Bojan).  If *that* is the case, then I think you are safe, as nothing
> is a singleton in the separate instance, your servlet holds the reference to
> it, and when your servlet is recycled on the classloader change, then you
> let go of the refrerence to the vel runtime, and get a new one.  All is
> well.

You know what they say - people do things because they're lazy. So do I.
With number of virtual hosts/apps growing, I have to make sure everyone
gets the updated Velocity jar. And being a lazy bastard I am... One
solution is to symlink the thing, works well. Ant (my site build tool)
doesn't like those much though when it copies files around, so I had to
use platform specific hacks and that's ugly. I used to have multiple
copies of Velocity around before, I just wanted to clean up the mess.
Not to worry, I can go either way, I just wanted to use Velocity as one
of the 'standard' Tomcat app libraries, without the need to do anything
special within each app.

> 2) I still think we are adding unnecessary complexityh re the
> per-classloader dumping.  KISS.

No worries.

Bojan