vcl-user mailing list archives

From Dmitri Chebotarov <dcheb...@gmu.edu>
Subject Upgrade to VCL 2.3
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2012 17:02:11 GMT
Hi

I've upgraded VCL 2.2.1 -> 2.3 on Friday and would like to share issues and fixes:

- right after the upgrade all new reservations failed  (when vcld needed to create new VM).
I traced it to failing scp command on step when VCL copies .vmx file to a VM host. There were
no errors reported in vcld.conf log file and vcld proceeded to next steps. Then error was
reported on VM host when vcld attempted to register a VM with non-existing .vmx file. The
scp command doesn't get any options and silently fails. I've added:

        if (!defined($options)) {
                $options = " -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null ";
        }

to utils.pm, sub run_scp_command, before $options are added to $scp_path. I think adding these
options to ~/.ssh/config would give the same result.

- needed to increase ConnectTimeout in utils.pm. Many (but not all) reservations failed with
error 'Connection timed out during banner exchange' when VCL was running ssh commands to prepare
reservation (3 attempts): "/usr/bin/ssh -i /etc/vcl/vcl.key  -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o
UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o ConnectionAttempts=1 -o ConnectTimeout=3 -l root -p 22 -x
<vcl-computer-name> 'command' ". I've changed ConnectTimeout to 10.

- was getting 'undefined usenls' JS error when I clicked 'Connect' button on successful reservation.
'Get RDP File' button wasn't available. This happened b/c I used page.php from VCL 2.2.1,
which doesn't define usenls vars. Once I defined usenls in page.php it fixed the issue (thanks
to Josh who pointed the problem)

- configuring firewall for Windows reservations failed. There is already https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VCL-609
for this problem. I've removed lines checking for $exit_status in DataStructure.pm and will
apply proper fix later with VCL 2.3.1.

At this point VCL 2.3 runs OK.

--
Thank you,

Dmitri Chebotarov
Virtual Computing Lab Systems Engineer, TSD - Ent Servers & Messaging
223 Aquia Building, Ffx, MSN: 1B5
Phone: (703) 993-6175
Fax: (703) 993-3404