vcl-user mailing list archives

From Josh Thompson <josh_thomp...@ncsu.edu>
Subject Re: Shib docs?
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2012 15:29:54 GMT

Michael,

Probably the simplest thing to do is to add your shibboleth based user
to the adminUsers group directly in the database.  Here's what to do:

1) get the id of your user:
   SELECT id, unityid FROM user WHERE unityid = 'your_user_id_here';
2) note the returned id
3) get the id of the adminUsers group:
   SELECT id FROM usergroup WHERE name = 'adminUsers';
4) note the returned id
5) add a record to the usergroupmembers table:
   INSERT INTO usergroupmembers
   (userid, usergroupid) VALUES
   (id_from_step_2, id_from_step_4);

Then, your shibboleth account should have admin access (assuming you
left the adminUsers group having admin access).

Josh

On 08/22/12 10:48, Michael Jinks wrote:
> Hi all.  I'm stepping through Aaron's Shib instructions and I've
> managed to hose my VCL dev instance.
>
> Things went fine until I enabled Shib for VCL and hit the web
> interface. I immediately realized that my user account didn't have
> admin privileges, since only the user-level buttons appeared on the
> landing page.  So I tried to back out my changes, but with Shib
> disabled, my browser always gets redirected to /shibauth, which
> draws a 500/Internal Server Error.
>
> I've done enough investigating to be pretty sure that the redirect
> is being controlled by something in the backing database, not by
> anything in the local filesystem, but I'm not sure what has
> changed.
>
> How can I access an admin account with Shib enabled?  Is there any
> way to give a user account full privileges?  Our efforts up to now
> have failed.
>
> And/or, how can I get back from where I am?  I have SQL access to
> the backing store, so if I knew what to change I could un-shib the
> instance and start over.  I'd rather not just do a complete load
> from the database without looking around a bit first.
>

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 04:58:33PM +0000, Aaron Coburn wrote:
>>
>>> Many thanks, but we're still on 2.2.  Are there lots of
>>> differences?
>>
>> Not really.
>>
>> The main difference is that there is no "ALLOWADDSHIBUSERS"
>> constant, so you can just skip the item related to that. You will
>> just not be able to manually add a user to a group before that
>> user has logged in for the first time.

> <snip>

- --
Josh Thompson