unomi-users mailing list archives

From Otavio Rodrigues Machado <omach...@thoughtworks.com>
Subject Re: Some articles talking about Unomi
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2018 11:44:20 GMT
Hi, Serge!

Thanks for reading it! :)

On your topics:

*I am curious about the lacks in documentation you mention in the article.
Did you see the new manual that's now available on the site ? Could you
maybe suggest improvements that would have helped you ? Michael is also
working on a tutorial which I think would probably help onboard more
people.*
I actually didn't see the manual! Do you have the link for it? I did a
quick search in the webpage but still couldn't find it.
I feel that the documentation is really good for covering *business* and
*bootstrapping*. The Tweet example was awesome, but in general I did not
see a lot of information about:
- How to implement segments;
- How to do write custom conditions (i still don't know what is the
ESQLBuilder, for example);
- What are the built-in conditions, rules, segments and actions that can be
used from the start;
- How to write complex rules (apart from "if a property exists")
- What is the core entry of unomi's logic. (It took me one whole day to
understand that wab, for example, was just parsing data to send to
EventService)
- What are the core modules
- Examples in general (example of requests for the rest api endpoints,
example of )

Regarding concepts, I feel that my knowledge is still lacking for the
concepts of *Item*, *Scope*, *Source*, *Target*. I have been looking to the
entry points of Unomi, so I don't really know what those last two are used
for – I just assumed that they were there for specific-application
purposes, if needed.

This is what I can think of, but whenever I remember of something I can
start writing it down to send you.

*I do want to react to the performance and scalability. At Jahia we test
Unomi with data sets of over 5 million profiles and have target for 95%
response times below 100ms with a three node cluster. This is usually
achieveable with reasonable hardware provided the storage is using SSDs as
recommended by ElasticSearch.*
On performance and scalability, I will write an edit. I still have to test
it out with better machines – I am actually waiting for one to do that as I
write this e-mail. I did see that you have performance tests there, so
that's awesome.
Have you thought about using RX to improve that?

*If you'd like we could link to your articles from the website (in the
resources section for example ?)*
If you think it's worth it, I would be honored. :)
I intend to keep working with Unomi, and will for sure continue to write
about it.

*Also in the hub of articles I see some upcoming ones. Are you aware that
we are working on a GraphQL version of the API ? *
I haven't! But now I will surely take a look at it!
I am also working in a Message queue entry. It's in a separated project,
but if you would like, we could discuss about creating a agnostic one to
exist as a module in the main source code.

*If you have questions for your upcoming articles please don't hesitate to
reach out. You can also email me directly if you like, but of course the
mailing list is a better place to make sure the community grows (as you've
clearly identified it should). Also we are currently in the process of
graduating to a top level project and I'm hoping we can do this by the end
of the year.*
Those are great news! Congrats!
I will for sure reach out whenever I have questions.

Thanks again for going through what I have been writing. That's for sure a
warm welcome for me in the community. :)

--