uima-user mailing list archives

From Peter Klügl <peter.klu...@averbis.com>
Subject Re: Ruta start issues
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2019 12:09:06 GMT
Hi Erik,

Am 01.03.2019 um 12:59 schrieb Erik Fäßler:
> Hi Peter,
>
> thanks for that rapid response!
>
> OK, I will stick to Java8 for the time being.
>
>> Can you check if the feature is available in the type system description
>> you used to create the CAS and, in the case of the Workbench, in the
>> type system description you used to open the CAS in the Annotation Editor?
> OK, newbie here :-) I just pushed the “run” button of the editor. I have not yet
learned how to specify the type system.
> The example Ruta scripts specify
> TYPESYSTEM types.BibtexTypeSystem;
> but this can’t be the issue because this type system does not import other types.
>
> I can only imagine that the type system that resides in the descriptor/ subdirectory
is also loaded. Especially since this directory contains the InternalTypeSystem.xml file that
also specifies the org.apache.uima.ruta.type.DebugBlockApply type - which does not specify
the timestamp feature.

Yes, eventually the type system description of the script will be used
to create the CAS for the launch delegate and that generated type system
description imports (internally) RutaInternalTypeSystem.xml. In your
case this description is not up to date. You can, for example, replace
it using the popup UIMA Ruta -> Update Project, or simply create a new
project and copy the descriptors. Then, maybe you need to modify the
script and save it in order to force the builder to update the generated
descriptions.

>> Please mind that the Annotation Editor is able to remember the type
>> system description that was used previously (see preferences). And
>> concerning Ruta, the descriptors are not automatically updated when a
>> new version of the Workbench is installed.
> I am not so sure that this is an issue with the editor. The warnings and errors happen
when I run the scripts rather when viewing the results.

There could be a problem with the CAS Editor extensions like the Applied
Rules view. However, if the generated descriptor is fine, then there
should bo no issue.

Best,

Peter

> I hope we can find a solution, I am sure I just have beginner’s headache.
>
> I am very impressed by the sophisticated tooling you have built over the years, I would
love to use it in my work.

> Best,
>
> Erik
>

>> Best,
>>

>> Peter
>>

>> Am 01.03.2019 um 12:37 schrieb Erik Fäßler:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am trying to get started with UIMA Ruta. It really looks like an interesting
and useful project. So I installed a fresh Eclipse, downloaded the 2.7 source distribution
from the UIMA download page and imported the ExampleProject.

>>> When I try to run the Main.ruta script with JRE 11.0.2 on my Mac, I get the error
message

>>> Error occurred during initialization of boot layer
>>> java.lang.LayerInstantiationException: Package jdk.internal.jimage.decompressor
in both module jrt.fs and module java.base

>>> So I switched to JRE 1.8.0_152. Now, the code will run but output
>>>
>>> Mar 01, 2019 12:34:07 PM org.apache.uima.jcas.impl.JCasImpl reportInitErrors(810)
>>> WARNING:
>>> JCas Type "org.apache.uima.ruta.type.DebugBlockApply" implements getters and
setters for feature "timestamp", but the type system doesnt define that feature.
>>> JCas Type "org.apache.uima.ruta.type.DebugRuleApply" implements getters and setters
for feature "timestamp", but the type system doesnt define that feature.
>>> JCas Type "org.apache.uima.ruta.type.DebugScriptApply" implements getters and
setters for feature "timestamp", but the type system doesnt define that feature.

>>> Then, I wanted to check out the “Ruta Explain” perspective and tried to run
Main.ruta with the debugger. This won’t finish at all due to the exception

>>> org.apache.uima.cas.CASRuntimeException: Feature "timestamp" is not defined for
type "org.apache.uima.ruta.type.DebugScriptApply”.

>>> It actually seems to be straight forward what is going wrong, the compile type
system class does not match the descriptor. But this look like Ruta internals to me, I am
not quite sure if and where I went down the wrong path.