uima-user mailing list archives

From Peter Klügl <peter.klu...@averbis.com>
Subject Re: Ruta syntax check of missing ";" after rule statement
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2018 13:50:05 GMT
Hi Mario,

hmm, the question is how Ruta should detect that a rule actually should
ends. There are no semantics on whitespaces and line breaks.

Ruta should complain with a syntax error if the semicolon is missing and
there is no valid stuff afterwards.

An example:

MyAnnotation { -> CREATE(SomeAnnotation)}

Document{-> MyType};

<EOF>

This is a valid script, but the rule will never match and the CREATE
will never be executed. It's actually one rule with two rule element.

MyAnnotation { -> CREATE(SomeAnnotation)}

<EOF>

... or ...

MyAnnotation { -> CREATE(SomeAnnotation)}

DECLARE MyType;

This is not a valid script and a syntax error should be reported.

I normally find the missing semicolons quite easily with the Explain
View in the Ruta IDE, which is unfortunately only available for Eclispe.

I have right now no idea how our situation can be improved. Do you have
a proposal?

Best,

Peter

Am 02.10.2018 um 11:31 schrieb Mario Juric:
> Hi Peter,
>
> It occasionally happens that developers forgets the semicolon “;” after a Ruta rule
statement, e.g.

> MyAnnotation { -> CREATE(SomeAnnotation)}; <——
>
> We believe to remember that the Ruta engine previously produced syntax errors in this
case, but this doesn’t appear to happen anymore, so we ended up wasting some time on tracking
this down, because the rule actions didn’t fire. It’s easy to overlook a detail like that
when we don’t have any syntax highlighting in IDEA, which is our preferred IDE. Shouldn’t
it produce a syntax error, or is there some reasons to just skip the statements without it?

--
Peter Klügl
R&D Text Mining/Machine Learning

Averbis GmbH