uima-user mailing list archives

From Mario Juric ...@unsilo.ai>
Subject Re: Ruta syntax check of missing ";" after rule statement
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2018 06:42:24 GMT
Hi Peter,

I think I understand the conflict, although I never considered this possibility since we never
used the rules in this way as illustrated by your first example. We always had the constraint
and action part at the end of the rules followed by semicolon and never in between, but I
can see why it might be difficult to determine a syntax error in this case. I therefore have
no suggestions for improving the situation, since it would generally be impossible to determine
whether such a rule makes semantic sense or not. However, now that we are aware of it we might
stand a better change to spot the problem earlier. Thanks for the feedback :)

Best Regards,

Mario Juric
Head of Research & Development
UNSILO.ai <http://unsilo.ai/>
mobile:  +45 3082 4100
skype: mario.juric.dk

> On 3 Oct 2018, at 15:50 , Peter Klügl <peter.kluegl@averbis.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Mario,
>

> hmm, the question is how Ruta should detect that a rule actually should ends. There are
no semantics on whitespaces and line breaks.

> Ruta should complain with a syntax error if the semicolon is missing and there is no
valid stuff afterwards.

> An example:
>

> MyAnnotation { -> CREATE(SomeAnnotation)}
>
> Document{-> MyType};
>
> <EOF>
>

> This is a valid script, but the rule will never match and the CREATE will never be executed.
It's actually one rule with two rule element.

> MyAnnotation { -> CREATE(SomeAnnotation)}
>
> <EOF>
>
> ... or ...
>
> MyAnnotation { -> CREATE(SomeAnnotation)}
>
> DECLARE MyType;
>

> This is not a valid script and a syntax error should be reported.
>

> I normally find the missing semicolons quite easily with the Explain View in the Ruta
IDE, which is unfortunately only available for Eclispe.

> I have right now no idea how our situation can be improved. Do you have a proposal?
>

> Best,
>

> Peter
>

> Am 02.10.2018 um 11:31 schrieb Mario Juric:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> It occasionally happens that developers forgets the semicolon “;” after a Ruta
rule statement, e.g.

>> MyAnnotation { -> CREATE(SomeAnnotation)}; <——
>>
>> We believe to remember that the Ruta engine previously produced syntax errors in
this case, but this doesn’t appear to happen anymore, so we ended up wasting some time on
tracking this down, because the rule actions didn’t fire. It’s easy to overlook a detail
like that when we don’t have any syntax highlighting in IDEA, which is our preferred IDE.
Shouldn’t it produce a syntax error, or is there some reasons to just skip the statements
without it?