uima-user mailing list archives

From "D. Heinze" <dhei...@gnoetics.com>
Subject RE: Apache UIMA Java sdk 3.0.0 released
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2018 23:36:05 GMT
Last week I converted a large project to UIMA 3.0.0.  I updated the Maven dependencies, rebuilt
all the JCas files and removed the old *_Type.java files.  Everything compiled without problem.
 Got runtime errors that were fixed by finding a version of Xerces (version 2.4.0 in this
case) that would keep all dependencies happy. For short runs with a single pipeline, I'm noticing
about a 15-20% reduction in processing time and less memory usage (I presume due to GC on
the CAS).  I had already been running JDK 1.8 for some time.
Am I correct in thinking that there is not a version of UIMA-AS that will work with UIMA 3.0.0?
 When might a UIMA-AS 3.0.0 be expected.
Thanks / Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Marshall Schor [mailto:msa@schor.com]
Sent: Monday, March 5, 2018 1:08 PM
To: announce@apache.org
Cc: uima-user; uima-dev
Subject: Apache UIMA Java sdk 3.0.0 released

The Apache UIMA team is pleased to announce the release of the Apache UIMA Java SDK, version
3.0.0.  This is the first release of a major re-implementation of the UIMA Java SDK, aligning
it with Java 8 and high performance multi-core processors.

Apache UIMA <http://uima.apache.org> is a component architecture and framework for the
analysis of unstructured content like text, video and audio data.

This release is a major rewrite of the internals of core UIMA, and includes many new features,
including:
 -- support for arbitrary Java objects in the CAS
 -- New semi-built-in UIMA types: FSArrayList, FSHashSet, IntegerArrayList, Int2FS map
 -- New "select" framework integrated with Java 8 Streams
 -- Elimination of concurrent modification exception
      while iterating over UIMA indexes
 -- Automatic Garbage Collection of unreferenced Feature Structures
 -- All around better integration into Java 8 idioms and generic typing

See the UIMA News <https://uima.apache.org/news.html#05 Mar 2018>item (
https://uima.apache.org/news.html#05 Mar 2018 ) for more details.

A full description of the new and changed parts is here:
http://uima.apache.org/d/uimaj-3.0.0/version_3_users_guide.html

This release requires Java 8, and is intended to be backwards compatible with existing Version
2 pipeline code, except for the need to regenerate or migrate (tooling provided) user-defined
JCas class definitions.

Please send feedback via the Apache UIMA project mailing lists.

 -Marshall Schor, for the Apache UIMA development team