uima-user mailing list archives

From Mario Juric ...@unsilo.ai>
Subject uimaFit JCasUtil.selectAt meaning
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2017 16:02:33 GMT
Hi,

I was wondering what exactly the semantics of JCasUtil.selectAt is supposed to be after looking
into the implementation, since the JavaDoc isn’t very precise. I initially thought that
it would select annotations of the given type with the exact begin and end, but this is not
the case when inspecting the implementation. The problem is in CasUtil.selectAt with the following
while loop:

while (it.isValid()) {
  AnnotationFS a = it.get();
  // If the offsets do not match the specified offets, we're done
  if (a.getBegin() != aBegin && a.getEnd() != aEnd) {
    break;
  }
  it.moveToNext();
  list.add(a);
}

I would have expected that either begin or end must be different to drop the item, i.e. "if
(a.getBegin() != aBegin || a.getEnd() != aEnd)" instead. This is obviously not the case, and
it does not have the same behaviour like selectCovered either, so what is the intend if it’s
not a bug?

Best,
Mario