uima-user mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: uimaFit JCasUtil.selectAt meaning
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2017 15:24:00 GMT
Dear Mario,

you are right - that appears to be a bug. Could you just copy/paste your analysis into a Jira
issue please?

  https://issues.apache.org/jira/

Best,

-- Richard

> On 01.11.2017, at 18:02, Mario Juric <mj@unsilo.ai> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering what exactly the semantics of JCasUtil.selectAt is supposed to be after
looking into the implementation, since the JavaDoc isn’t very precise. I initially thought
that it would select annotations of the given type with the exact begin and end, but this
is not the case when inspecting the implementation. The problem is in CasUtil.selectAt with
the following while loop:

> while (it.isValid()) {
>  AnnotationFS a = it.get();
>  // If the offsets do not match the specified offets, we're done
>  if (a.getBegin() != aBegin && a.getEnd() != aEnd) {
>    break;
>  }
>  it.moveToNext();
>  list.add(a);
> }
>
> I would have expected that either begin or end must be different to drop the item, i.e.
"if (a.getBegin() != aBegin || a.getEnd() != aEnd)" instead. This is obviously not the case,
and it does not have the same behaviour like selectCovered either, so what is the intend if
it’s not a bug?