uima-user mailing list archives

From Mario Juric ...@unsilo.ai>
Subject Re: uimaFit JCasUtil.selectAt meaning
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2017 16:01:58 GMT
Done.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-5637

Best
Mario

> On 2 Nov 2017, at 16:24 , Richard Eckart de Castilho <rec@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Dear Mario,
>
> you are right - that appears to be a bug. Could you just copy/paste your analysis into
a Jira issue please?

>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/
>
> Best,
>
> -- Richard
>
>> On 01.11.2017, at 18:02, Mario Juric <mj@unsilo.ai> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering what exactly the semantics of JCasUtil.selectAt is supposed to be
after looking into the implementation, since the JavaDoc isn’t very precise. I initially
thought that it would select annotations of the given type with the exact begin and end, but
this is not the case when inspecting the implementation. The problem is in CasUtil.selectAt
with the following while loop:

>> while (it.isValid()) {
>> AnnotationFS a = it.get();
>> // If the offsets do not match the specified offets, we're done
>> if (a.getBegin() != aBegin && a.getEnd() != aEnd) {
>>   break;
>> }
>> it.moveToNext();
>> list.add(a);
>> }
>>
>> I would have expected that either begin or end must be different to drop the item,
i.e. "if (a.getBegin() != aBegin || a.getEnd() != aEnd)" instead. This is obviously not the
case, and it does not have the same behaviour like selectCovered either, so what is the intend
if it’s not a bug?