uima-user mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Annotation Index not recognized with Linux
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2017 20:02:44 GMT
Hi Sean,

> I am seeing some behavior that appears to be specific to our Jenkins build environment
where the base annotation (uima.tcas.Annotation) is not being sorted correctly.   The expected
behavior, where tokens are sorted in an ascending order based on the begin token integer,
is occurring on any other platform (iOS or Windows).

You're using UIMA on iOS?! Can we learn more about that? (Sorry, not your question...)

>    I attempted to circumvent this behavior by utilizing the Indexes Page to add an additional
index which uses OHNLP's  ConceptMention as 'kind' 'sorted' and features similar to the built
in index provided, but that did not have the intended result either.

The indexes page of what? And how do you instantiate your components/pipeline?

>                To establish if the added index had any effect I went on to use reverse
sort direction on the ConceptMention annotation, but it didn't appear to take effect in any
environment which leads me to believe I'm not utilizing it correctly.    I'm wondering if
the additional index needs to be made on a primitive aggregate rather than at the AE level
as I'm attempting.    It is not clear by the documentation whether the getAnnotationIndex()
method has access to the sorted index of if another method (such as FSIndexRepository) would
be necessary to produce the iterator which honors the indexing.

As far as I know, the default annotation index is just that - if you define a custom index
over the Annotation type, then it would change. But in order to use your custom index over
ConceptMention, you'd have to explicitly fetch that index via CAS/JCas.getIndex(...).

>  I've tried both with no apparent effect.
>                So I guess I'm asking two different questions:
>
> 1)      Are there issues with Linux utilizing the built in index annotation?

Not that we would be aware of. What version of UIMA are you using? Can you produce a minimal
example?

> 2)      How does one go about implementing the indexes pages to provide a custom handling
of sorting indexes?

Possibly UIMA already knows about your index and you'll get it if you use CAS/JCas.getIndex(...).

Cheers,

-- Richard