uima-user mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: newbie questions about UIMA Types
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2016 01:23:23 GMT
It is possible to customize the generated JCas classes, yes. You can e.g. add own methods or
even own fields. However, own fields would not be saved/loaded when you persist a CAS e.g.
to XMI.

As a case for a custom method, consider e.g. the DKPro Core Token "setText(string)" method
[1].
If the "string" passed to the method differs from the covered text of the Token, then a new
"Form" annotation with the value "string" is created, linked to the Token.

Another case would be the "links()" method on the DKPro Core CorefChain type. It returns all
elements in the respective coreference chain as a List thus saving the user to manually iterate
over the whole chain to reach all elements.

FSList and friends are built-in types of UIMA Core - you can't modify these. But uimaFIT provides
several methods to make working with these things much more convenient. See

- org.apache.uima.fit.util.FSCollectionFactory and its methods to create FSList etc from Java
collections
- org.apache.uima.fit.util.JCasUtil has select methods to retrieve elements from FSList etc
- org.apache.uima.fit.util.FSUtil has methods to conveniently get/set feature values including
multi-valued features.

Best,

-- Richard

[1] https://github.com/dkpro/dkpro-core/blob/71fda5c6ba91748b6e87312554e418ac1e2911c6/dkpro-core-api-segmentation-asl/src/main/java/de/tudarmstadt/ukp/dkpro/core/api/segmentation/type/Token.java#L313
[2] https://github.com/dkpro/dkpro-core/blob/ba33629fc0f077337f9af39e38e1b58531e1674e/dkpro-core-api-coref-asl/src/main/java/de/tudarmstadt/ukp/dkpro/core/api/coref/type/CoreferenceChain.java#L101

> On 30.11.2016, at 20:25, David Fox <David.Fox@humedica.com> wrote:
>
> Does the UIMA Java framework support modifying or extend the java class generated by
JCasGen corresponding to a custom Type?   If so, are there any common circumstances where
this is necessary?

> I didn’t see anything in the examples or documentation about modifying the generated
classes, but I also didn’t see anything saying you couldn’t.  I suspect that this is not
supported (and that otherwise you wouldn’t be able to pass a CAS between distributed UIMA
AS components, or between a Java annotator and a C++ one).  But it would be nice to know for
certain.

> The reason I ask is that the set of data structures supported by UIMA types (individual
FS references,  FSList linked lists, and FSArray arrays) is fairly limited compared to modern
programming languages, which often directly support associative arrays, trees, and graphs.
 I’m trying to understand whether this is a restriction on the implementation of custom
types (which it would be if modifying/extending the generated class was not supported), or
just on the public interface accessible via the UIMA API.