uima-user mailing list archives

From David Fox <David....@humedica.com>
Subject newbie questions about UIMA Types
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2016 20:25:36 GMT
Does the UIMA Java framework support modifying or extend the java class generated by JCasGen
corresponding to a custom Type?   If so, are there any common circumstances where this is
necessary?

I didn’t see anything in the examples or documentation about modifying the generated classes,
but I also didn’t see anything saying you couldn’t.  I suspect that this is not supported
(and that otherwise you wouldn’t be able to pass a CAS between distributed UIMA AS components,
or between a Java annotator and a C++ one).  But it would be nice to know for certain.

The reason I ask is that the set of data structures supported by UIMA types (individual FS
references,  FSList linked lists, and FSArray arrays) is fairly limited compared to modern
programming languages, which often directly support associative arrays, trees, and graphs.
 I’m trying to understand whether this is a restriction on the implementation of custom
types (which it would be if modifying/extending the generated class was not supported), or
just on the public interface accessible via the UIMA API.

David