uima-user mailing list archives

From Egbert van der Wal <e...@pointpro.nl>
Subject Debugging a NullPointerException in UIMA AS / processing timeouts
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2016 14:18:00 GMT
Hi,

I'm having a problem using UIMA-AS. I have a pipeline set up that
processes HTML documents in ~= 10 ms. The total time out value was
initially 20 seconds, but I increased it to 120 ms at some point to
avoid this problem, it seemed to help.

However, sometimes the 2 minutes is still hit and a warning is shown.
When this occurs, it will usually be accompanied with
NullPointerExceptions in combination with Xerces, somewhere in the
internals of UIMA. See the attached log-file excerpt for the errors I'm
seeing. The first 5 lines are the 'normal' output, which was repeated
for several thousand lines before during the succesful operation of the
pipeline.

The SOFA that is being sent out during this particular exception is a
quite small HTML-document, just a couple of kilobytes, and it's not
actually reproducible with the same document; if I run the program again
it will eventually fail, but at some other point.

How can I go about solving this issue? Since the part of my own code in
the stacktrace is limited to the point where 'sendCAS' is called, I
can't really think of any additional debugging I can do.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Egbert van der Wal