uima-user mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: uimafit builds broken?
Date Mon, 15 Feb 2016 09:59:32 GMT
> On 15.02.2016, at 07:43, Hendrik Lücke-Tieke <helt@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Welcome to the wonderful world of build systems...
>
> First, I used git to check out the code from github. But neither that nor
> checking out using git svn (the original source) worked correctly, because
> -- due to a git feature -- the newlines in
> uimafit-core/src/test/resources/data/docs/ unix-newlines.txt.bin were
> replaced during checkout. (More details in "lesson 1" )
>
> So, would you accept a pull request, which adds a .gitattributes to the
> repository, so cloning the source from github will work for people using
> windows?

We can add a .gitattributes file. Contribution welcome.

> Then I checked out using svn (had to install it for this) Now uimafit-core
> builds correctly. But uimafit-maven-plugin breaks because I have maven 3.3.3
> installed.
>
> So what version of maven would be ok, Richard? And would it be ok, if I
> create a pull request which adds a maven wrapper to get rid of the
> dependence of a local maven installation (which may be too bleeding edge)?

We just hit this issue too and found this:

  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-5792

Easy workaround: copying the mvn.cmd script to mvn.bat.

It should be possible to fix this by using a newer version the invoker plugin, e.g.
by adding

   <artifactId>maven-invoker-plugin</artifactId>
   <version>2.0.0</version>

to the plugins management section of a suitable POM.

I'd be happy to accept contributions for these, especially since I hardly
ever build uimaFIT on Windows.

Now regarding pull requests: Apache UIMA and uimaFIT are SVN-based projects.
We accept contributions as patches via the Jira issue tracker or other
official Apache infrastructure such as e.g. the mailing list.
I don't think that GitHub counts as such. I know that some projects at Apache
use git as their primary repository technology, but we don't do that (yet).
So for the time being, I don't think we can do much about pull requests, but
if you open an issue and attach a patch, that would work [1]

Also note https://uima.apache.org/contribution-policy.html

Cheers,

-- Richard

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/