uima-user mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: UIMA memory management and persistence
Date Thu, 14 Jan 2016 00:51:22 GMT
On 14.01.2016, at 01:28, D. Heinze <dheinze@gnoetics.com> wrote:

> I have a couple questions that I have only been able to find vague or
> partial answers to on line:
> 1. Does UIMA still use C for implementing the CAS or is it all Java now?

The UIMA Java SDK is written in Java (no C). Although the way that UIMA-J
manages the CAS internally using various heaps is more C-like than
Java-like.

> 2. Does UIMA use the file system to implement the CAS persistence layer
> during runtime?

Core UIMA doesn't use the file system unless asked to (i.e. when you serialize
to disk). The framework internally keeps all its data in memory. Although,
I have to admit, I don't know how the checkpoints that I believe are supported
by the CPE are implemented (never used that feature).

If you see massive disk IO, it might be due to the OS swapping?

>    a. I'm curious because my engine loads all its resources into memory,
> but between the time that it reads in a document and when it outputs the
> results, the system profiler shows a lot of disk activity.  This is plain
> UIMA, not UIMA-AS

Cheers,

-- Richard