uima-user mailing list archives

From Mario Gazzo <mario.ga...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Very long Ruta stream initialization
Date Wed, 06 Jan 2016 13:48:17 GMT
Hi Peter,

I had a look at the test cases and I think there are many interesting and useful features
that cover many of our use cases but I will have to experiment with them before I know what
might be missing. I have a few questions though:

1) It appears that we would then also be able to assign annotations to lists, which is nice.
I am not sure from looking at the tests whether it is possible to use ADD with the annotation
lists but I assume so.
2) The use of addresses is unclear to me just from reading the test, maybe you could explain
them.? This concept is very new to me.
3) The annotation feature expression looks nice but I wonder whether an array element can
also be referenced using an int expression and not just a constant e.g. Struct.as[intVar+1]{->T1};

The label expressions are also useful and will make some of our rules more readable.

Finally I have one additional question to the MARKUP initialisation. I have a case where I
need the token seeds coming from the default seeder but I don’t want to run the markup initialisation.
Is there a separate seeder defined for this somewhere? Right now I have my own copy of the
default seeder without the MARKUP initialisation but obviously I do not want to maintain this.
It looks as if they could also be split in two seeders with both added as default and then
I could overwrite with my own seeder list containing only the token seeder.

Cheers
Mario

> On 04 Jan 2016, at 17:06 , Peter Klügl <peter.kluegl@averbis.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Am 04.01.2016 um 16:13 schrieb Mario Gazzo:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> No problem, I was anyway pretty much offline myself during Christmas holidays.
>>
>> The term “overhead” is probably an exaggeration in this context especially after
I disabled the MARKUP initialisation. We implemented earlier our own XML markup annotator
tailored to better fit our needs with additional annotation types and properties, so the Ruta
MARKUP is currently not used. It just happens that we don’t directly use RutaBasic in any
of our rules in this particular case so I was curious to know whether we could avoid creating
them in the first place since there seems to be quite a few. However, overall processing required
by our Ruta scripts compared to other processing steps is now small and sub-optimising this
further by making RutaBasic optional would currently be of very low priority to us. We would
prioritise other features higher e.g. being able to assign annotations to variables as we
discussed previously in another thread.

> I am working on this right now and there is finally some first progress :-)
>
> I fear that I won't catch all use cases (combinations with language
> elements) with the first attempt. If you are interested (and wanna take
> care I do not miss your use case), feel free to take a look at the new
> unit tests:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/ruta/trunk/ruta-core/src/test/java/org/apache/uima/ruta/expression/annotation
>
> It's still work in progress. Proposals for more unit tests are very welcome.
>
>> We haven’t processed documents as large as those you mention since books have so
far been divided into chapters and processing could therefore be parallelised accordingly.
We also drop extreme outliers above a certain size if we encounter them and then we batch
process them later in smaller chunks but this has so far not been necessary with our current
data sets. Like you, our processing bottlenecks are now in different components.

> Ah, that's nice to hear that ruta is not the bottleneck :-D
>
> Best,
>
> Peter
>

>> Cheers
>> Mario
>>
>>> On 30 Dec 2015, at 16:44 , Peter Klügl <peter.kluegl@averbis.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> sorry for the delayed reply.
>>>
>>> RutaEngine::initializeStream:
>>>
>>> The special treatment of MARKUPs that causes the increased time required for
initialization is just a workaround because I was to lazy to write a working jflex rule. Well,
I tried but failed. It shouldn't be hard be to improve this code... I will create an issue
for it. When I did the last performance optimization, uima did not check the indexes yet and
my test set did not contain markups.

>>> Deactivate creation of RutaBasic:
>>> Short answer is no. I was already thinking about making RutaBasic optional in
future so that the user can configure if they are used. However, right now, they are required
for rule inference and make the rule inference "fast" in the first place. RutaBasic is just
an internal annotation like RutaAnnotation (for SCORE, MARKSCORE) and RutaFrame, and rules
should not match on them at all.

>>> Some background information:
>>>
>>> RutaBasics are used for three things:
>>> - store additional information in order to avoid index operations. Some useful
conditions would require many index operations, e.g., PARTOF or ENDSWITH. RutaBasic is utilized
as a cache what annotations start and end at which position, and which positions are covered
by which types.
>>> - provide a container to make this information available across analysis engines.
Information shared by analysis engine is normally stored in the CAS, e.g. in annotations,
(or in external resources). This is the role of RutaBasic. It is not really implemented right
now as it should be but I will improve it soon. Then, there is no performance decrease when
a pipeline is spammed with small ruta engines.
>>> - a basic minimal disjunct partitioning of the document for the coverage based
visibility concept.

>>> Making RutaBasic optional is possible. If there is a real need for it, e.g.,
in order to reduce the memory footprint or when processing large documents where parts are
simply not interesting, then I will put it on my TODO list. I am also open for other/new ideas
how to solve the challenges (and for incremental usage of internal caches).

>>> What is your experience with the processing overhead concerning RutaBasic? Is
it the rule matching or rather the initialization? I myself had already some performance problems
with the initalization and memory consumption in large CAS (500+ pages pdfs). However, other
components, serialization and the CAS editor were the actual bottlenecks.

>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Peter

list since we don’t need the MARKUP annotations anymore.

to rival the POS tagger in processing time.

Ruta basic annotations entirely to save processing overhead and only apply Ruta rules to other
annotation types created by other AEs such as our own?

can tak very long time. I can’t really explain them and it seems independent of document
length since I have seen this with even very small XML documents.

MARKUP annotations during subiterator.moveToNext calls (line 89) and inside Subiterator it
seems to be the while loop inside adjustForStrictForward (line 232), which is inside UIMA
core classes. I haven’t gone into any deeper analysis yet but I first like to hear whether
you have an idea what could be the main cause(s) for this?