uima-user mailing list archives

From Martin Wunderlich <martin...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: NPE when trying to get casProcessors from CPE description
Date Sun, 12 Jul 2015 11:23:18 GMT
Hi Richard,

I have based this experiment on the PairTwentyNewsgroupsDemo from the DKPro examples. The
CPE would be build during the experiment execution, I guess.

I have just tried to re-run the example, but now I am getting the same exception:
(using the 0.8.0 snapshort version of TC).

2015-07-12 11:01:31 DEBUG [main] (DefaultLoggingService) - [MetaInfoTask-TwentyNewsgroupsTrainTest-966ab1a7-2874-11e5-b53c-37fcf6476d26]
Problem stack trace:
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.apache.uima.fit.cpe.CpeBuilder.createCpe(CpeBuilder.java:159)
	at de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.lab.uima.engine.cpe.CpeExecutionEngine.run(CpeExecutionEngine.java:93)
	at de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.lab.task.impl.BatchTask.runNewExecution(BatchTask.java:350)
	at de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.lab.task.impl.BatchTask.executeConfiguration(BatchTask.java:255)
	at de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.lab.task.impl.BatchTask.execute(BatchTask.java:185)
	at de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.tc.ml.ExperimentTrainTest.execute(ExperimentTrainTest.java:91)
	at de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.lab.engine.impl.ExecutableTaskEngine.run(ExecutableTaskEngine.java:55)
	at de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.lab.engine.impl.DefaultTaskExecutionService.run(DefaultTaskExecutionService.java:48)
	at de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.lab.Lab.run(Lab.java:97)
	at de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.tc.examples.single.pair.PairTwentyNewsgroupsDemo.runTrainTest(PairTwentyNewsgroupsDemo.java:147)
	at de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.tc.examples.single.pair.PairTwentyNewsgroupsDemo.main(PairTwentyNewsgroupsDemo.java:84)

Cheers,

Martin

> Am 11.07.2015 um 19:10 schrieb Richard Eckart de Castilho <rec@apache.org>:
>
> Hi,
>
> how to you build your CPE? The CAS processors should be set during setAnalysisEngine(...).
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Richard
>
> On 11.07.2015, at 10:18, Martin Wunderlich <martin_wu@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi  all,
>>
>> I am  trying to run a pair-wise classification experiment using the DKPro TC framework.
The execution fails during the meta-info stage due to a NullPointerException that originates
in the CpeBuilder class from UIMAfit v.2.1.0 (hence the post to this list and not the DKpro
list). I had a closer look at the code and the NPE is triggered at the following line in the
CpeBuilder:

>> cpeDesc.getCpeCasProcessors().setPoolSize(maxProcessingUnitThreadCount + 2);
>>
>> The underlying root cause is that the casProcessors object returned by the call to
cpeDesc is Null, but I don’t understand why. The cpeDesc lists a number of fields as having
Null values:

>> org.apache.uima.collection.impl.metadata.cpe.CpeDescriptionImpl:
>> casInitializer = NULL
>> configParameterSettings = NULL
>> configurationParameterSettings = NULL
>> import = NULL
>> sofaNameMappings = NULL
>> configurationParameterSettings = NULL
>> cpeCasProcessors = NULL
>> outputQueue = NULL
>> startAt = NULL
>> startingEntityId = NULL
>>

>> Unfortunately, I am not too familiar with the inner workings of the UIMA(fit) framework
so I am not sure how, why and where these fields were set to Null.
>> Could someone perhaps point me in the right direction where I should dig deeper to
identify the cause for this problem?