uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Adding Annotations To Some Indexes
Date Thu, 09 Jul 2015 19:51:26 GMT
Hi Luis,

UIMA indexes don't support what you're asking, in general.

You can get this effect by having a unique type Foo, and defining a custom index
over that type.  Some caveats:
 - the index will be over Foo and all of its subtypes.  If you define Foo to
have no subtypes, then it's just over Foo instances, of course.
 - if the supertype of Foo is "Annotation", because there's a "built-in"
annotation index, the add-to-indexes call will add a new Foo to both the custom
index and the annotation index.

There are some new ideas being discussed on the UIMA wiki concerning thoughts
about what a version 3 of UIMA might look like, and one of the thoughts is that
it could include support for the Java "Collection" objects, as UIMA Cas objects
(meaning you could for instance create an ArrayList of Feature Structures, and
have that object "be in the CAS" - and therefore be passed to other annotators,
etc.  With this capability, you would be able to define your own collection of
Feature Structures, which might fit your use case.

Of course, this is just an idea at the moment.  Unless you want to jump in and
help implement!

The discussion of future directions for UIMA is spread over several pages in the
wiki, but a good page to start is
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/UIMA/Ideas+for+UIMAJ+v3

Cheers. -Marshall