uima-user mailing list archives

From Martin Wunderlich <martin...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: NPE when trying to get casProcessors from CPE description
Date Sun, 12 Jul 2015 14:39:30 GMT
As a side-note*, the problem does not occur when I run the experiment from the branch of the
0.7.0 tag version of DKPro TC. In that version, PairTwentyNewsgroupsDemo runs fine without
the NPE. Not sure, if this observation adds to the clarification or rather to the confusion.

Cheers,

Martin

* (and we should probably move this conversation to the DKpro list, which I am putting on
CC now, so feel free to respond there)

> Am 12.07.2015 um 13:23 schrieb Martin Wunderlich <martin_wu@gmx.net>:
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> I have based this experiment on the PairTwentyNewsgroupsDemo from the DKPro examples.
The CPE would be build during the experiment execution, I guess.

> I have just tried to re-run the example, but now I am getting the same exception:
> (using the 0.8.0 snapshort version of TC).
>
> 2015-07-12 11:01:31 DEBUG [main] (DefaultLoggingService) - [MetaInfoTask-TwentyNewsgroupsTrainTest-966ab1a7-2874-11e5-b53c-37fcf6476d26]
Problem stack trace:
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> 	at org.apache.uima.fit.cpe.CpeBuilder.createCpe(CpeBuilder.java:159)
> 	at de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.lab.uima.engine.cpe.CpeExecutionEngine.run(CpeExecutionEngine.java:93)
> 	at de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.lab.task.impl.BatchTask.runNewExecution(BatchTask.java:350)
> 	at de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.lab.task.impl.BatchTask.executeConfiguration(BatchTask.java:255)
> 	at de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.lab.task.impl.BatchTask.execute(BatchTask.java:185)
> 	at de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.tc.ml.ExperimentTrainTest.execute(ExperimentTrainTest.java:91)
> 	at de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.lab.engine.impl.ExecutableTaskEngine.run(ExecutableTaskEngine.java:55)
> 	at de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.lab.engine.impl.DefaultTaskExecutionService.run(DefaultTaskExecutionService.java:48)
> 	at de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.lab.Lab.run(Lab.java:97)
> 	at de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.tc.examples.single.pair.PairTwentyNewsgroupsDemo.runTrainTest(PairTwentyNewsgroupsDemo.java:147)
> 	at de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.tc.examples.single.pair.PairTwentyNewsgroupsDemo.main(PairTwentyNewsgroupsDemo.java:84)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Martin
>

>> Am 11.07.2015 um 19:10 schrieb Richard Eckart de Castilho <rec@apache.org <mailto:rec@apache.org>>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> how to you build your CPE? The CAS processors should be set during setAnalysisEngine(...).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> -- Richard
>>
>> On 11.07.2015, at 10:18, Martin Wunderlich <martin_wu@gmx.net <mailto:martin_wu@gmx.net>>
wrote:

>>> Hi  all,
>>>
>>> I am  trying to run a pair-wise classification experiment using the DKPro TC
framework. The execution fails during the meta-info stage due to a NullPointerException that
originates in the CpeBuilder class from UIMAfit v.2.1.0 (hence the post to this list and not
the DKpro list). I had a closer look at the code and the NPE is triggered at the following
line in the CpeBuilder:

>>> cpeDesc.getCpeCasProcessors().setPoolSize(maxProcessingUnitThreadCount + 2);
>>>
>>> The underlying root cause is that the casProcessors object returned by the call
to cpeDesc is Null, but I don’t understand why. The cpeDesc lists a number of fields as
having Null values:

>>> org.apache.uima.collection.impl.metadata.cpe.CpeDescriptionImpl:
>>> casInitializer = NULL
>>> configParameterSettings = NULL
>>> configurationParameterSettings = NULL
>>> import = NULL
>>> sofaNameMappings = NULL
>>> configurationParameterSettings = NULL
>>> cpeCasProcessors = NULL
>>> outputQueue = NULL
>>> startAt = NULL
>>> startingEntityId = NULL
>>>

>>> Unfortunately, I am not too familiar with the inner workings of the UIMA(fit)
framework so I am not sure how, why and where these fields were set to Null.
>>> Could someone perhaps point me in the right direction where I should dig deeper
to identify the cause for this problem?