uima-user mailing list archives

From Petr Baudis <pa...@ucw.cz>
Subject Re: Multi-threaded UIMA ParallelStep
Date Wed, 20 May 2015 13:10:44 GMT
  Hi!

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 09:01:10AM -0400, Eddie Epstein wrote:
> Right about the flow controller. That's where UIMA-AS comes in. Assuming
> that the CM has a casPool with enough CASes, and the aggregate is deployed
> asynchronously, then each delegate will be running in its own thread and
> can be processing CASes in parallel.
>
> The ASB is a single-theaded controller used for deployment of synchronous
> aggregates.

  Hmm, I think I begin to see how it should work.  Thanks for the
explanation!

  However, (before actually trying) it still seems to me to be much
easier to rewrite a piece of the stock ASB than use UIMA-AS with complex
pipeline construed by UIMAfit...  So I think I will try that first (and
report back).

> Is the intention here to use parallel processing to reduce latency for a
> interactive application or to increase throughput for batch processing? For
> throughput, why not just deploy the entire pipeline single-threaded and
> then run multiple pipeline instances in separate threads? UIMA-AS would do
> this by specifying N instances of a synchronous top-level aggregate.

  The intention is to do both, latency is also important for me
as I have an interactive user interface for the pipeline.

				Petr Baudis