uima-user mailing list archives

From Peter Klügl <peter.klu...@averbis.com>
Subject Re: Developing UIMA Ruta Rules in Maven Projects
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2015 15:41:01 GMT

Am 01.04.2015 um 15:43 schrieb Richard Eckart de Castilho:
> On 31.03.2015, at 21:29, Peter Klügl <pkluegl@uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:
>
>> My first investigations for a m2e project configurator haven't been really successful.
If someone has experience in this field... any help is welcome ;-)
> You are talking about a connector that configures the ruta workbench based on settings
made in the POM or on a maven-plugin that does something during a maven-based build?

A connector that configures maven projects, e.g., sets the ruta nature,
script source folders etc. This should be the correct way to do it, I think.

I was also thinking about a maven-plugin that does this brute-force, but
I assume that would only be a quick and dirty solution for configuring
eclipse-related resources like .project.

I do not yet have a good overview of the best practices...

>> I intent to support src/main/ruta by default, but also other source folders since
I can think of users that rather interpet ruta files as resources than as program code. Thus,
they want to place it somewhere under src/main/resources. Complete support has maybe to wait
for the release after next.
> Well, ruta is a script-based language. So I would expect that ruta files are copied verbatim
from whatever folder they are in to target/classes anyway.

> It is probably a good best practice to let ruta scripts live in packages (cf. Java packages),
so they should probably merge nicely into the classpath - as ruta files, which would effectively
be resources. Mind that you can even consider ".class" files as resources.

> The distinction into src/main/java and src/main/resources was imho made mainly to separate
(Java-)code from non-code. Ruta is definitely code, so src/main/ruta makes a lot of sense
to me.
> For other languages, we have e.g. src/main/groovy (and there are probably src/main/scala
or src/main/flex, etc.). This makes it easier for language-specific Maven plugins to locate
the code they are supposed to operate on.

> In which case would you prefer to store stuff in src/main/resources?

I heart of people that want to put all resources that are loaded by
analysis engines in a specific sub-folder of src/main/resources, which
is then not copied to target/classes but to target/resources.

I think src/main/ruta should become the default, but all other locations
should also be supported.

Best,

Peter