uima-user mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Developing UIMA Ruta Rules in Maven Projects
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2015 13:43:36 GMT
On 31.03.2015, at 21:29, Peter Kl├╝gl <pkluegl@uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:

> My first investigations for a m2e project configurator haven't been really successful.
If someone has experience in this field... any help is welcome ;-)

You are talking about a connector that configures the ruta workbench based on settings made
in the POM or on a maven-plugin that does something during a maven-based build?

> I intent to support src/main/ruta by default, but also other source folders since I can
think of users that rather interpet ruta files as resources than as program code. Thus, they
want to place it somewhere under src/main/resources. Complete support has maybe to wait for
the release after next.

Well, ruta is a script-based language. So I would expect that ruta files are copied verbatim
from whatever folder they are in to target/classes anyway.

It is probably a good best practice to let ruta scripts live in packages (cf. Java packages),
so they should probably merge nicely into the classpath - as ruta files, which would effectively
be resources. Mind that you can even consider ".class" files as resources.

The distinction into src/main/java and src/main/resources was imho made mainly to separate
(Java-)code from non-code. Ruta is definitely code, so src/main/ruta makes a lot of sense
to me.
For other languages, we have e.g. src/main/groovy (and there are probably src/main/scala or
src/main/flex, etc.). This makes it easier for language-specific Maven plugins to locate the
code they are supposed to operate on.

In which case would you prefer to store stuff in src/main/resources?

Cheers,

-- Richard