uima-user mailing list archives

From Peter Klügl <pklu...@uni-wuerzburg.de>
Subject Re: Developing UIMA Ruta Rules in Maven Projects
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2015 19:29:28 GMT
Hi,

Am 30.03.2015 um 22:45 schrieb Richard Eckart de Castilho:
> On 30.03.2015, at 17:03, Peter Klügl <peter.kluegl@averbis.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> some UIMA Ruta users of you have maybe already noticed that the support for developing
UIMA Ruta rules in maven-based projects will be improved in the next release. The first step
is now done with a maven plugin for building descriptors (analysis engine and type system).
> Does the IDE have some kind of support for this?
> I.e. can one build ruta projects in the IDE using m2e?

Probably yes ;-)

My intensions are maybe leading in some different direction. I intend to
leave the current Workbench and its building as it is. It was initially
designed to provide a simplier environment for maybe not so experienced
users.

I rather plan to do it the other way around: I want to provide the
complete functionality of the IDE in any maven-based projects with ruta
script files. I do not know if this will be completely possible. We will
see...

Experienced developers would maybe only use maven-based ruta project in
future and would not rely on the old Workspace projects at all.

I assume that a user could convert a ruta project to a maven project and
do the building by configuring the pom. Maybe the current builder should
be deactived in the project then.

> It would be great if one could add ruta Maven projects as dependencies to Java projects.

Yes, this is planned especially for building up maven artifacts with
rule-based solutions for specific annotation problems.

> Others might love adding Java projects as dependencies to Ruta projects.

This is already possible right now in the normal ruta projects, for
example, I already used DKPro Core components in ruta scripts just by
depending on a java project that has dependencies to DKPro Core.

> Or to add dependencies between Ruta projects.

This is also already possible. Both use cases will hopefully be
supported better in future for serious/complex applications.

>> I want to cover and support  as many development use cases as possible in the next
release.

>> Thus, some questions:
>> Are there any wishes like specific stuff that should be configurable?
> Would be good to see a running example.

Good idea. I will add the example project in a maven-built variant.

>> Should there be a maven plugin for building MTWL directories?
>> Are there opinions for default source folders, e.g., something like src/main/ruta?
> +1

My first investigations for a m2e project configurator haven't been
really successful. If someone has experience in this field... any help
is welcome ;-)

I intent to support src/main/ruta by default, but also other source
folders since I can think of users that rather interpet ruta files as
resources than as program code. Thus, they want to place it somewhere
under src/main/resources. Complete support has maybe to wait for the
release after next.

Best,

Peter