uima-user mailing list archives

From Peter Klügl <pklu...@uni-wuerzburg.de>
Subject Re: Approach for keeping track of formatting associated with text views
Date Sat, 14 Mar 2015 13:34:01 GMT
Hi,

thanks for the issue and sorry for the delayed response. I did not yet
find the time to look into it, but I will the next days.

Best,

Peter

Am 13.03.2015 um 23:51 schrieb Mario Gazzo:
> The issue has now been created:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-4286 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-4286>
>

>> On 11 Mar 2015, at 14:47 , Mario Gazzo <mario.gazzo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, I understand the choices now. I would also probably prefer to use the document
annotation if no text content is associated with the tag. However, ideally I would prefer
that tag annotations get the offsets of content that is within their scope but otherwise get
offsets of content within their closest shared ancestor element. Ultimately this could end
up being the document annotation. E.g.

>> <journal-meta>
>>     <journal-id journal-id-type="nlm-ta">Environ Health Perspect</journal-id>
>>     <journal-title>Environmental Health Perspectives</journal-title>
>>     <issn pub-type="ppub">0091-6765</issn>
>>     <publisher>
>>         <publisher-name>National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences</publisher-name>
>>     </publisher>
>> </journal-meta>
>>
>> I would here expect journal-meta to have the offsets of all content within its scope,
which in the converted view of my experiments gets combined to the following “Environ Health
PerspectEnvironmental Health Perspectives0091-6765National Institute of Environmental Health
Sciences”. This works as expected when I just disable the “inBody”-flag of the HtmlConverterVisitor
except that there is no clear separation between the content elements any longer, which is
why I would like to have a sentence separator like “. ” between them so that I instead
get: “Environ Health Perspect. Environmental Health Perspectives. 0091-6765. National Institute
of Environmental Health Sciences.”. The dot separators should then of course not be included
in the converters offsets since they are not part of the original text.

>> Additionally there might be a case where a meta tag doesn’t have any content within
its scope but it contains attribute values:

>> <Parent>
>> 	<Child1 attribute=“someValue” />
>> 	<Child2/>Some content.</Child2>
>> </Parent>
>>
>> In this case I would prefer that Child1 has the same offsets as Child2 since the
tag is most closely related to that content. In case there is no content within the scope
of its parent then I would find the first ancestor that contains content within its scope
and use that offset although this choice is questionable. I haven’t a good example of this
case though so I presume they are in reality rare.

>> That said, the latter is more complicated to implement, so I would be happy if I
could just easily turn off the “inBody”-test in the HtmlConverterVisitor and have some
way to add content separation between tags outside body without resorting to code modifications.

>> Hope this feedback was helpful.
>>
>> Your time is much appreciated, thanks.
>>

>>> On 09 Mar 2015, at 16:56 , Jens Grivolla <j+asf@grivolla.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Peter, while I don't think I will be using the HtmlConverter right away,
>>> I would vote for using the length of the document annotation for
>>> annotations that relate to the whole document (such as metadata).  That
>>> makes them show up nicely in the CasEditor/Viewer and you could maintain it
>>> in all segments when you split a CAS (e.g. with something based on the
>>> SimpleTextSegmenter example).
>>>
>>> -- Jens

We will

Ruta: