uima-user mailing list archives

From Peter Klügl <pklu...@uni-wuerzburg.de>
Subject Re: Ruta parallel execution
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2015 14:50:34 GMT
As for reusing the tokenization, may we should add something like this
logic (reusing as default):

for each seeder
  if there are annotations of my seeding types
    if new config param is true // for partial or corrupt tokenizations
      remove all seeding annotations and generate them anew
    else
      do nothing
  else // no tokenization yet
    generate seeding annotations

Best,

Peter

Am 09.01.2015 um 15:44 schrieb Peter Klügl:
> Hi,
>
> Am 09.01.2015 um 15:28 schrieb Silvestre Losada:
>> Hi Peter
>>
>> I missed this email. I see your point about the analysis engines changing
>> arbitrary the annotations, however that fact can occur now, if a script
>> uses EXEC action to execute external analysis engine, I think that an extra
>> parameter could be added to ruta to specify if ruta tokenization,
>> RutaAnnotations and RutaStream can be reused. I think that it may be
>> possible to reuse ruta tokenization (annotations stream) across same Cas.
> Yes, this should be possible, or let me say it this way: the
> tokenization of one seeder should be reused at any case.  Other scripts
> may apply additional seeder, but that won't probably not be the common
> case. Reusing RutaStream will be complicated, especially for
> multi-view/cas-multiplier pipelines. I think the best way is to share
> and update the RutaBasics.
>
> There are many options to improve the performance when applying several
> analysis engines in a normal UIMA pipeline. Especially the internal
> indexing should be improved. The main reason why these improvements are
> not yet implemented can probably be found in our use cases (no parallel
> execution, applying one complex script, no need for high performance).
>
> I am open for all improvements. In my opinion, we should create a test
> pipeline as a unit test and then optimize all aspects.
>
> Best,
>
> Peter
>

>> Best Silvestre.

>>> Oh yes, this causes a real slowdown when applying several scripts within a
>>> pipeline. All help is welcome :-)
>>>
>>> The main problem is that ruta requires additional indexing information for
>>> conditions like PARTOF (which otherwise would be terribly slow). I don't
>>> think that reusing the RutaStream would help because there could be an
>>> arbitrary analysis engine changing arbitrary annotations. The RutaBasic
>>> annotations are already reused to some extend, but the indexing is done
>>> again. My first guess would be that we add another configuration parameter
>>> with a list of all types that analysis engines applied after the last ruta
>>> engine may have changed. Some helper methods could set these values
>>> automatically given a pipeline. We could also use the capabilities of the
>>> engines, but I am not sure that they are always correctly set.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Peter

In